Saturday, April 24, 2010

I'm TOO Old For This !!!

First of all let me say that I love my job. I do. I work in the Mother-Baby Unit here in Cartersville. I may complain about it sometimes but all in all I love what I do. I work with some great girls and the patients can be really sweet. Part of the job is that I work 12 hour shifts and I work every other weekend. While the 12 hour shifts allow me to work less days, it's 12 hours. (hello?) Anyway, not always but a lot of the time our work is busy. We walk in to a busy situation and don't sit down, eat or pee for the entire 12 hour shift. The start of the shift is always the busiest. Then it usually settles down by 2pm ish. By then you have to catch up on all your paper work.
What is crazy about the 12 hour shift thing is that most of the work force still operates on 8 hour shifts and get 1 hour for lunch. They also work Monday through Friday. This is true for most of my family. I always get these comments "you are so lucky, you get to be off on Monday." What people dont realize is I am off Monday because I just worked the weekend.(now in all fairness I work most Fridays and everyother Saturday and the occasional Sundays, I like to go to church) but I call Friday/Saturday my weekend. So I am not "getting Mondays off", Monday is like my Saturday. My other work girls can relate I'm sure. Right girls?
I worked nights when I started at CMC. I did that for about 4 years ( and 2 kids). Night shift REALLY screws you up. I am glad to be on Days now, even though they are usually busier. My night shift friends may dissagree. but the grass is always greener ya know. When I started at CMC I was 25. Such a baby. I could do 3 nights in a row and then be off for a couple of days and start the process over. Well I just finished 2 DAY shifts in a row and I am exhausted. I am getting to old for this S--t. I don't have the stamina I used to have. We have a couple of new young girls and they work the same schedule I used to and I realize I have become the senior of the unit. I am now the older "mom" type who can't keep up with the younger girls. Don't feel bad for me I am in good company. Right Dana, Angie and Michelle? HeeHee. (love you).
I guess I just want everyone to know working 12 hours is hard work. And sometimes our Mondays and Tuesdays are our Fridays Saturdays or Sundays. So if we want to lay areound the house all day in our PJs like some people do on the weekend then that is our right.

No comments:

Post a Comment